From: "Ken Steele" <steel...@appstate.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 7:36:06 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] Metric system as pet peeve

There is a sign post on I-40 heading west from NC towards
Knoxville, TN, that announces that Knoxville is 19 KM into the
distance.  It was put up prior to the 1982 Knoxville Worlds Fair
to "internationalize" the event.  It was still there as of last
year; one of my favorite road signs.

Ken

PS - John, I have an upgraded '73 Peugeot "in my stable" which I
rebuilt a couple of years ago.

On 3/16/2011 5:57 PM, John Kulig wrote:

> Wasn't that attempted during the Carter administration in the
> US? Didn't work too well if I remember. Oh, the other way
> people in the US become familiar with metric is as a 'do it
> your-selfer' with separate sets of wrenches in the garage. And
> in the 1970s when many of us went on biking crazes (I STILL
> have my 1977 10 speed Peugeot) - everyone did their our own
> maintenance and got familiar with metric very quickly.
>
> ========================== John W. Kulig, Ph.D. Professor of
> Psychology Director, Psychology Honors Plymouth State
> University Plymouth NH 03264 ==========================

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor
Department of Psychology          http://www.psych.appstate.edu