Carol and John:

You will be glad to know that your Miyata and Peugeot are very cool in today's biking world. They use very functional, simple, and sturdy components which is why one can still be riding a bike that was made 40 years ago. For example, modern Shimano shifters are $350-$500 (discounted)and are unrepairable, literally. When they break, they are gone. Carbon frames are strong in certain directions but are easily crushed by clamping forces. Now you need to use a torque wrench if you are tightening stems or seat bolts. So, Carol, feel sympathy for that young wrench who is trapped in the present where everything is carbon and fragile.

I had written a long reply on the meaning of nostalgia last night but had sent it to the trash because I was unhappy with it. But the basic message was the following. Why would one ride a bike that was made 40 years ago? Typical answers include "return to one's youth" and "inability to appreciate new ways." But I think there is an alternative explanation. Sometimes one can see that newer is not better. Newer may have unanticipated consequences which will be perceptible to those with experience with other technologies. Carbon parts are lighter than steel or aluminum but are more fragile.

I was having conversations with colleagues about paying bills. I still write checks and keep a written tally. I do this to slow myself down and think about where my money has gone. Some of my colleagues use automatic drafts. This is very fast and easy but they don't need to look where the money has gone. They can't explain the current state of their bank account. I can explain and anticipate what will be the state of my account at the end of the month.

In a retro mood,

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph.D.                  steel...@appstate.edu
Professor and Assistant Chairperson