On 8 June 2011 Mike Palij wrote:
>I'm not sure that Skinner's "Air Crib" and rumors that his daughter
>was psychotic and a suicide should be considered a "myth" of
>psychology in the same sense as, say, "We only use 10% of out
>brain" or even the claim that Freud use icebergs as metaphors
>for the mind as he conceived it …
[…]
>So, the assertion of deleterious effects of the air crib on
>Deborah Skinner are clearly false but it is unclear who
>actually believes this to be true -- I would think that a false
>belief has to have some widespread acceptance for it to be
>considered a "myth"

Mike raises a good point here that makes me think I was a bit glib in
alluding to the story of Skinner's daughter Deborah and the supposed
"Skinner box" as a "myth". Perhaps the stories that circulated might
more accurately be called rumours, as Mike suggests.

Nevertheless, at one time it did seem to have had what might be called
semi-official warrant, as this writer indicates (writing in 2004):
"When I was a freshman in college, my Psych 101 professor told us all
about a psychologist who was so set on proving his theories about an
'apparatus' he had invented, that he went too far. The psychologist was
none other than B.F. Skinner, the inventor of the famous 'Skinner Box.'
And the story is that he locked his infant daughter in a Skinner Box
for the first two years of her life, causing her to grow up
psychologically damaged. Consequently, she sued him, after which she
tragically committed suicide.

"What blows me away is that this story was taught in my freshman
psychology class, and the instructor truly appeared to believe that the
story was true. I believed it was true, too, and I imagine that
everyone else in the class did, too. After all, it was written up in
the text book and everything."
http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30372.asp

Deborah Skinner Buzan also suggests the rumours circulated in US
psychology classes and beyond:
"The early rumours were simple, unembellished: I had gone crazy, sued
my father, committed suicide. My father would come home from lecture
tours to report that three people had asked him how his poor daughter
was getting on. I remember family friends returning from Europe to
relate that somebody they had met there had told them I had died the
year before. The tale, I later learned, did the rounds of psychology
classes across America. One shy schoolmate told me years later that she
had shocked her college psychology professor, who was retelling the
rumour about me, by banging her fist on her desk, standing up and
shouting, 'She's not crazy!'"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2004/mar/12/highereducation.uk

Maybe a false rumour becomes a myth if widespread belief persists
beyond a shortish period of time.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London