Hi Dap-

I don't know of any stand alone APA style programs. The APA offered one for a
few years, but it was a complete dog and they eventually stopped supporting it.
However, there are a number of free templates out there which will make APA
style a little easier:

http://www.apastyle.info/template.shtml

http://www.music.miami.edu/research/APAstyle/

http://learners.ncu.edu/elrc/tutorials/Manuscript%20template%20in%205th%20edition%20APA%20format.doc

http://jonathan.mueller.faculty.noctrl.edu/crow/student.htm#writing

An illustration of how to write a research paper

Why can't editors accept any style (or a variety of styles)? My guess is that
they don't want to make their task any more difficult than it already is. It's
hard enough to know one style well enough to be able to properly edit the work
of others. Having to know a multiplicity of styles would be quite a burden.

I think that a better question is: Why don't we junk the bloated APA style book
and go for a simple and streamlined style book instead. Part of the answer, of
course, is that the APA makes a pile of money by forcing us (and our students)
to use their system.

Hope that this helps,

-Don.