Beth writes
>Do you mean what was questionable?  Well, one was
>his comment about seeing his mother in the shower
>with the shower curtain "pulled back like in the theater,"

I'd forgotten about that specific incident (must have repressed the
memory :-) )

>(or did he actually refer to that in real life??)

Well, there was a *similar* event that Freud claimed had occurred in
his early childhood. In a letter recounting his self-analysis to
Wilhelm Fliess in 1897 (when he was 41) he wrote that his libido
towards his mother was awakened when he was between two and
two-and-a-half years, on the occasion of a train journey from Leipzig
to Vienna during which "we must have spent the night together and there
must have been an opportunity of seeing her naked." Leaving aside the
issue of memories from infancy, the twofold "must have" hardly
convinces; as biographer Ronald Clark observes, they suggest that the
personal foundations on which Freud was to build his Oedipal theory
"should be regarded with caution".

Seeing the "interview" again, I note another questionable statement, in
this case deliberate I'm sure. The first item that Freud lists among
his phobias is "thongs"!

Allen E.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=11818
or send a blank email to