I just checked Skinner's "Case History" and no date is given to the
cartoon.  The paper was published in 1956 so the cartoon can't have been
done after 1956.  The cartoon is definitely an operant conditioning
procedure (as opposed to maze-learning, etc.) and likely reflects the
influence of Fred Keller.

Ken

Kenneth M. Steele, Ph. D.                        steel...@appstate.edu
Professor and Assistant Chairperson
Department of Psychology                 http://www.psych.appstate.edu
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608
USA

On 8/23/2011 11:17 AM, John Kulig wrote:

> Mike and others still interested in when the Jester published the
> Skinner cartoon ...
>
> The date of 1928 for that cartoon "Boy, have I got this guy
> conditioned ..." did seem out of whack, yet it appears all over the
> place. Skinner got his MA and PhD from Harvard in 1930 and 1931. His
> "Case History in Scientific Method" describes the evolution of the
> runway into an "operant" type device while at Harvard, including type
> of cumulative record. His earliest publications are:
>
> On the conditions of elicitation of certain eating reflexes.
> Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 1930, 16, 433-38.
>
> On the inheritance of maze behavior. Journal of General Psychology,
> 1930, 4, 342-46.
>
> The progressive increase in the geotropic response of the ant
> Aphaenogaster. Journal of General Psychology, 1930, 4, 102-12.
>
> The concept of the reflex in the description of behavior. Journal of
> General Psychology, 1931, 5, 427-58.
>

> So 1928 seems unlikely if not totally implausible. I think "The
> Behavior of Organisms" may nail it down better. Will try to find ...
>
> having a hard time letting this issue go!
>
> John K

> *From: *"Mike Palij" <m...@nyu.edu>

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=12130
or send a blank email to