Thanks Beth.  It was a fun project to work on and it took a good bit of work
and time to put all this info together.  Every detail was gone over with a fine
tooth comb by Hall Beck.  He also supplied the pictures of Douglas and of Gary
Irons.

We teachers read a lot of research articles that are deadly dull, but Hall's
article and his painstaking detective work was really interesting to read so it
just jumped out at me as having the potential for a kind of "detective"
activity for students.  Hopefully psych students will find this interesting -
perhaps especially those in a History of Psych class.

Thanks for your comments,

Michael

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com
Twitter: mbritt

On Sep 4, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Beth Benoit wrote:

> Michael,
> As usual, you have supplied a fun, exciting and informative exercise to keep
> our students thinking.
>
> It must have been fun for you to put all of those "eureka" moments together!
>
> Beth Benoit
> Granite State College
> Plymouth State University
> New Hampshire
>
> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com>
> wrote:
>

> Excuse the cross-posting, but I am very excited to announce the availability
> of a new activity that can be used in class or online and which I hope you'll
> find valuable enough to use with your students.
>
> In 2009 the journal American Psychology published an article entitled,
> "Finding Little Albert: A Journey to John B. Watson's Infant Laboratory".
> It was a fascinating article detailing the author's 5 year effort to identify
> the real identity of "Little Albert".  The evidence in favor of his
> conclusion that a boy named Douglas Merritte is "Albert" is very, very
> convincing.
>
> I found the article fascinating reading and a great example of an historical
> detective at work  I decided it would make a great classroom or online
> activity and I have been working with the author - Hall Beck - for the past 8
> months to break down the key steps in his investigation.  The result is an
> activity I hope you'll find valuable enough to try out with your class.
>
> The "Finding Little Albert" activity presents students with:
>
> information, questions, clues and hints
> solutions to the questions (so they can move along in class or at their own
> pace)
> photos of Albert and Douglas for comparison
> Douglas' family tree
> the "trunk in the attic" which contained a picture of Douglas/Albert
> a map
> a census report
>
> ...as it takes students down the path of identifying Albert's real identity.
>
> I hope students will enjoy this small taste of what's involved in one case of
> fascinating historical research in Psychology.
>
> My research assistant, Caitlin O'Loughlin, worked with me to create a brief
> survey at the end of the activity which can be taken by both instructors and
> students.  I hope you and your students will take the time to fill out the
> survey to give us feedback to improve the experience.  Our goal is to present
> the activity at a psychology conference in 2012.
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.ThePsychFiles.com/albert
>
> Hope you enjoy it!
>
> Michael

> [...]