From: Beth Benoit [mailto:beth.ben...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sun 9/4/2011 4:28 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] The Finding Little Albert activity

Michael,
As usual, you have supplied a fun, exciting and informative exercise to keep
our students thinking.

It must have been fun for you to put all of those "eureka" moments together!

Beth Benoit
Granite State College
Plymouth State University
New Hampshire

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Michael Britt <mich...@thepsychfiles.com> wrote:

        Excuse the cross-posting, but I am very excited to announce the
availability of a new activity that can be used in class or online and which I
hope you'll find valuable enough to use with your students.

        In 2009 the journal American Psychology published an article entitled,
"Finding Little Albert: A Journey to John B. Watson's Infant Laboratory".   It
was a fascinating article detailing the author's 5 year effort to identify the
real identity of "Little Albert".  The evidence in favor of his conclusion that
a boy named Douglas Merritte is "Albert" is very, very convincing.

        I found the article fascinating reading and a great example of an
historical detective at work  I decided it would make a great classroom or
online activity and I have been working with the author - Hall Beck - for the
past 8 months to break down the key steps in his investigation.  The result is
an activity I hope you'll find valuable enough to try out with your class.

        The "Finding Little Albert" activity presents students with:

        *       information, questions, clues and hints
        *       solutions to the questions (so they can move along in class or
at their own pace)
        *       photos of Albert and Douglas for comparison
        *       Douglas' family tree
        *       the "trunk in the attic" which contained a picture of
Douglas/Albert
        *       a map
        *       a census report

        ...as it takes students down the path of identifying Albert's real
identity.

        I hope students will enjoy this small taste of what's involved in one
case of fascinating historical research in Psychology.

        My research assistant, Caitlin O'Loughlin, worked with me to create a
brief survey at the end of the activity which can be taken by both instructors
and students.  I hope you and your students will take the time to fill out the
survey to give us feedback to improve the experience.  Our goal is to present
the activity at a psychology conference in 2012.

        Here's the link:

        http://www.ThePsychFiles.com/albert

        Hope you enjoy it!

        Michael

        Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
        mich...@thepsychfiles.com
        http://www.ThePsychFiles.com <http://www.thepsychfiles.com/>
        Twitter: mbritt

        ---

        You are currently subscribed to tips as: beth.ben...@gmail.com.

        To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aaf72&n=T&l=tips&o=12430

        (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is
broken)

        or send a blank email to
leave-12430-13105.b9b37cdd198e940b73969ea6ba7aa...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

---