Hi Annette: The Boulder Model originated in an influential 1949 conference at
the Univesity of Colorado at Boulder; inaugurated by David Shakow (in many
ways, the father of modern clinical psychology training) that conference was
indeed the formal birth of the scientist-practitioner (S-P) model.  The
UC-Boulder clinical program was always one of the exemplar programs of this
model.

      But more and more, Boulder model programs are discouraging students with
primary career interests in clinical practice from applying for graduate
school, largely because dozens and dozens of Psy.D programs are already
available to do that (and there's no research evidence that Ph.D.s are
associated with superior therapy outcomes to Psy.D.s).  Also, the costs of
graduate training at most clinical psychology programs are enormous (e.g., at
Emory, we fund offer guaranteed funding for 4 years, with full tuition
remissiion, about a $17,000 a year stipend, coverage of health insurance and
other fees; and our clinical program is not markedly atypical from other
clinical Ph.D. programs), and many graduate programs do not want to invest
>$100,000 and years of research training in a student who will go out and
perform full-time therapy, especially when there is no evidence (and pretty
good evidence to the contrary from meta-analyses) that their treatment outcomes
will be superior to those of B.A. level paraprofessionals (I have decidedly
mixed feelings about this argument, but take it for what it is).

        Many of these clinical psychology programs (those that are training
students primarily for research settings) are now coming to refer to themselves
as "clinical science" (a term coined by Indiana University's Dick McFall in the
early 1990s) programs; I see from their website that UC-Boulder continues to
refer to itself as an S-P rather than as a clinical science program, perhaps
for historical reasons (I'm not sure).  Still, even those S-P programs whose
primary goal is to train researchers are required by APA (well, actually the
Committee on Accreditation, or CoA, which is recognized by APA - it gets really
complicated) to provide students with balanced training, and with a heatlhy mix
of both research and first-hand cliinical experience (including a required
one-year clinical internship).  The rationale here is that direct exposure to
the clinical phenomena of interest is important (if not essential) for
effective research. Also, these programs recognize that many research settings
(e.g., in medical schools) are actually combined research-clinical settings,
and many of them are placing their bets that the treatment model of the future
will increasingly consist of structured (e.g., manualized, prescriptive)
therapy by B.A. level-practitioners, with supervision and consultation from
doctoral-level psychologists.

     I've never heard of the Denver Model (although it's a treatment for
autism). The alternative model is typically called the Vail Model, which was
adopted in a 1973 conference in Vail, Colorado (historically, such conferences
are lengthy and often been held at sites with good skiiing...) and is now
embraced by most Psy.D. programs. The Vail Model is essentially a
scholar-professional model (or practitioner-scholar model): the goal here is to
train practitioners who are independent scholars - individuals who don't
necessarily conduct research but are capable of consuming and interpreting the
research literature independently. Some of us, however, have referred to the
Vail Model as "paradigm lost" - regrettably, few Psy.D. programs, I would
argue, have lived up to the laudable goals of the scholar-professional model.

      But there is a long story here that would be better saved for a different
(and less historical and momentous) morning.

....Scott