There is a line in the original The Godfather book that has always stuck with me: Anyone can learn anyone else's job in about six weeks. (My quote may not be 100% accurate.) I ponder that from time to time. Although it might take a lot of education to be any physician (or accountant or psychologist or attorney) it takes a small fraction of that training to be a specific physician. All the great cases of people who impersonated these professions are testament to this. When I think of my actual routine every day, I wonder how long it would take to train someone to do the specific job rather than train someone for a generic profession. I have this feeling that learning the job of college professor was done mostly by myself as a kind of independent study project that was conducted years after any formal education.

The discussion also reminds me of an incident we had years ago with a medical student who did not pass his boards covering the first two years of medical school in which the students take basic medical science. He was allowed to proceed to clinical training contingent on studying and taking the boards again. He managed to get all the way through medical school without passing the boards. He was widely regarded as an excellent clinician and many of his supervisors, many of whom felt the science years were irrelevant, wanted the board requirement waived so that he could graduate. The case really pitted the science faculty against the medical faculty. The decision went all the way to the President. He decided in favor of the science faculty. I never heard there was a conflict over this until this case came up. Apparently many physicians believe training should be more clinical and less science. In the 19th Century, most of the
medical training was clinical apprenticeship.

My general assessment is that there has been a gigantic inflation of degrees and coursework. People selecting for jobs are confronted with an applicant sample that has no variance in credentials. The applicants are told each year that they need more and more education in order to stand out and be selected. This absurd pressure is forcing more and more people to enhance their credentials far and above anything the employer needs. CSPAN recently had a panel on law school education. The first speaker got up and said that if he now applied to his firm with his current credentials, he would not even get an interview. His firm was now only hiring people with law degrees who also had some other marketable degree or specialized training. We routinely reject applicants for grad school who have the publication credentials of
people we recently hired as assistant professors.

Mike Williams