Mike Wiliams wrote (among other observations):

"We routinely reject applicants for grad school who have the publication
credentials of people we recently hired as assistant professors."

>From my personal experience, I know that from the first institution at
which I worked, I achieved the rank of tenured associate professor;
however, looking at ads for a beginning assistant professor at that
institution now, I know that I would not be considered to be hired there.
I also know of a recent student of mine who extended her undergraduate
degree for a year to participate in a special undergraduate research
program which resulted in her being a named author on two accepted for
publication articles, and had submitted her own research for publication
(which has since been published), yet when she applied for graduate
school, she was accepted to only one of the ten schools she applied to.

I think we are facing a qualifications inflation as well as a possible grade
inflation problem.

.
Robert W. Wildblood, PhD
Adjunct Psychology Faculty