According to the Independent, "a group of special scientific advisors
to the US Government decided that the details of the two studies into
H5N1 bird flu were too sensitive to be published in full and
recommended redactions to the manuscripts rather than a complete ban on
publication."

 The US NIH expressed their concerns thus:
"While the public health benefits of such research can be important,
certain information obtained through such studies has the potential to
be misused for harmful purposes," the statement says. "These
manuscripts... concluded that the H5N1 virus has greater potential than
previously believed to gain a dangerous capacity to be transmitted
among mammals, including perhaps humans."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/us-tells-scientists-to-censor-flu-research-6279888.html

In other words, the NIH reported that "the US National Science Advisory
Board for Biosecurity, which advises the US Government, recommended
that the scientists and the two journals should omit key details of
experiments. It does not want the publication of all the scientific
methods used in the experiments, nor the genetic sequences of the
mutated H5N1 virus, in order to prevent replication of the research 'by
those who would seek to do harm'."

So the NIH, along with others such as an EU spokesperson, is expressing
reasonable concerns and requesting reasonable measures. They have no
jurisdiction over the journal Nature, to which the relevant paper has
been submitted. To make something potentially sinister out of this
situation seems to me to be somewhat over the top.

Allen Esterson
Former lecturer, Science Department
Southwark College, London
allenester...@compuserve.com