In my original post to TiPS, I wrote:

|two papers that were submitted to the journal Science that
|the U.S. government wants censored, that is, details removed
|which would prevent others from duplicating the work;

Now, anyone involved in experimental or other types of research
would realize that if you do not have enough information to
replicate someone's research, one cannot know if the results
are "real" (i.e., "replicable") or not.  Historically, omission
of such details has led to an inability to replicate important
findings (e.g., Leo DiCara's work) or to show that published
results are in error (I believe a couple of papers in Psychological
Science were retracted because it was discovered that there were
programming errors that produced the observed results).  Not being able
to replicate a researcher's work because key information is omitted
should be of concern to all scientists.

I also said in that post:

|Now, I can appreciate the government's concerns in the
|case of manufacturing bird flu and making sure that only
|the "right" scientists have access to the details for
|reproducing the virus

So, above I state I understand why the government would want
to prevent details from becoming public as well as making
sure that only the "right" researchers got the details.
Subsequent to my posts, the authors have agreed to keep
certain details out of the published papers and to develop
some mechanism that vets who gets of the details though,
since this apparently has not been done before, it is unclear
what the process should be.  I think that a reasonable person
will see how such a process can be done badly (e.g., the
restricted early access to the Dead Sea Scrolls led to early
interpretations that reflected certain biases; it was not until
copies of the scrolls became easily available that alternate
interpretations were possible).

I ended my post with the following point:

|but one has to wonder if politicians
|might want to apply similar tactics to social/behavioral/psychological
|research and not just to methodological details but including
|certain results and conclusions that may clash with certain
|beliefs.

The point being is that ideology and religion can trump scientific
concerns if the people in charge have sufficient power to impose
their will and researchers and other people are to frightened to
do anything about it.  Onc recent example is provided by the NY Times
here:
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2011/12/07/health/AP-US-MED-Morning-After-Pill.html?_r=3&hp
Another source is clearer in discussing the issues:
http://gizmodo.com/5866053/denying-girls-access-to-morning+after-pill-puts-politics-ahead-of-science

After everything I've said above, I admit to not understanding what
Allen's point is in his earlier posts or his current post (below).