I won't argue that the Glock is popular because of its capabilities as a
handgun, but humor me here MIke.  Might it's success, or perhaps the fact that
non-gun owners like myself have even heard of it, have something to do with the
name?

I contacted the author of Word Hero and asked him his thoughts about the word
"Glock".  His response:

Sound symbolism is a concept from the field of linguistics.  "Glock" is
practically an onomatopoeia: the name evokes locking and loading, or the sound
a bullet makes as it enters the chamber. From a branding standpoint, it says
"German," which continues to connote high quality.

As Spock might say, "Interesting".

Michael A. Britt, Ph.D.
mich...@thepsychfiles.com
http://www.ThePsychFiles.com