From: Marte Fallshore [mailto:ma...@cwu.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 27, 2012 12:16 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] gender versus sex

I guess I need to clarify. The study is looking at factors that may impact
one's judgement regarding another's sexual orientation. Of course it is
nobody's business, but many people do it anyway. We also realize this varies by
country (& even region), but the research is US-bound.

The student researcher is interested in understanding factors that may lead to
gay hate crimes so we may better educate people. In this particular section of
her paper, she is explaining why, for those people who want to 'assign' sexual
orientation to others, they must first determine the actual sex/gender of the
couple they are judging. My question is, which word is more accurate in this
discussion. I am certainly NOT condoning people who want/need to know one's
sexuality (having a unisex name and a partner with a unisex name, I actually
work hard NOT to let on what my sexual orientation is to my students just to
keep them on their toes). The fact is, people assign sexual orientation
(rightly or wrongly) and the purpose of this research is understanding and
education. I hope this clarifies why the question. If not, I apologise. Regards,

Marte

Marte Fallshore
Department of Psychology
Room 462
Central Washington University
Ellensburg, WA 98926-7575

509/963-3670
509/963-2307 (fax)

When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint.
When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.
~Dom Heider Camara

I teach for free; they pay me to grade. (anon)

>>> "Dr. Bob Wildblood" <drb...@rcn.com<mailto:drb...@rcn.com>> 01/26/12 3:56
>>> PM >>>
You aren't talking about sex or gender, you are talking about sexual
orientation, and whose business is that anyway?