I appreciate your point about Bem's advice about writing papers, but my sense
is that the notion of 'telling a story' in scientific papers predates Bem by
decades and has been implicitly promoted in our best journals. It seems to me
that legions of scientists have been trained to write research papers in this
fashion for years. For example, most methods sections read as if most
experiments were executed without the slightest glitch. Really? Perhaps I
am totally wrong here, but my bet is that all sorts of events occur in most
studies that should reported, but are not because such details are inconsistent
with the story we wish to tell. I bet that the research paper-as-a-story is
probably partly responsible for much of the selective reporting of literature,
methodology, results, etc., that has been going on in most areas of science for
a long time.

Miguel