From: Jeffry Ricker [jeff.ric...@sccmail.maricopa.edu]
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2012 12:56 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] The Psi-chology of Darryl Bem

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Paul Brandon
<pkbra...@hickorytech.net<mailto:pkbra...@hickorytech.net>> wrote:
contemporary physics (quantum theory -> string theory) seems to be in an
'anything is possible' mode, so I'm not sure that a working physicist would
make an a priori judgement on precognition.

I tried to see if an actual working physicist had written something showing
that quantum field theory was agnostic with respect to psi phenomena. When I
entered the following keywords "quantum physics psi" into Google, I hit an
unexpected roadblock--psi is a term used in quantum mechanics:
"The wavefunction which describes the state of a particle is often denoted by
the letter Y (spelled 'psi' and pronounced 'sigh'). It is a complex function
which is defined everywhere in space..." (Felder & Felder, 2003;
http://snipurl.com/23ve8x2).

Anyways, I recall reading critiques written by physicists showing why quantum
field theory cannot be used to explain at least some of the specific claims
that have been made about psi. I also wonder if there are any physicists
prepared to claim that quantum field theory contravenes the laws of
thermodynamics. If not, then I'm not certain that "spooky action at a distance"
or other quantum phenomena are relevant.

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 5:14 AM, Lilienfeld, Scott O