From: Christopher Green [chri...@yorku.ca]
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2012 12:38 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] The Psi-chology of Darryl Bem

It connotes a general defensiveness about the topic being discussed. Do I think
that (especially experimental) psychologists are (still) defensive about anyone
even asking questions about telepathy under the guise of psychological
research? You bet your sweet bippy (for those who are old enough to remember
Laugh In).

Bem did some research. I have no reason to believe he faked anything. He got a
bunch of marginally significant effects, often having to resort to one-tailed
tests. They failed to be replicated, and a more reasonable Bayesian analysis by
Wagenmakers showed the alleged effects were not big enough to be worth talking
about anyway.

Next?

Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M6C 1G4

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo

On 2012-06-09, at 4:52 PM, Jeffry Ricker <jeff.ric...@sccmail.maricopa.edu>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Christopher Green <chri...@yorku.ca> wrote:
>> Y''know, guys, the BemBash-alooza is getting a little
>> methinks-thou-doth-protest-too-much-ish now.
>
> The phrase, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks," usually means
> that a person asserts something so fervently that others infer that
> the person actually believes the opposite--in this context, that we
> actually believe Bem's claims to be well-supported by the evidence he
> presented. You surely can't mean that, so I'm not certain what you're
> trying to communicate.
>
> Best,
> Jeff
> --
> Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
> SCC: Professor of Psychology
> MCCCD: General Studies Faculty Representative
> PSY 101 Website: http://sccpsy101.wordpress.com/
> Scottsdale Community College
> 9000 E. Chaparral Road
> Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626