This is true Nancy. But I remember learning maps and flags as a kid because I
liked them, not because some govt threatened me with a standardized test (or
even because some teacher decided to include them in the curriculum. Whatever
happened to the people who just have to know?

Chris
-----
Christopher D. Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M6C 1G4
Canada

chri...@yorku.ca

On Jan 16, 2013, at 12:16 AM, drnanjo <drna...@aol.com> wrote:

> I wonder if it is possibly a reflection of the priorities of our education
> system.
>
> I remember taking Geography in elementary school.
>
> I don't remember having standardized testing on Geography.
> But plenty on other subjects.
>
> It it possible that this is one of the side effects of "teaching to the
> test"...
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if Geography had been eliminated in most curriculums
> in favor of subjects more likely to command space on standardized tests.
>
> Nancy Melucci
> Long Beach City College
> Long Beach CA

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=23072