On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 21:11:37 -0800, Christopher Green wrote:
>Time was that I would give history of psychology students a map test of
>European countries. On average, they got a little over 4 -- usually UK, France,
>Italy, and whatever country their ancestors came from. It got so depressing
>that I stopped. It seems I was expecting way too much. This sociology professor
>finds that her students can't even name continents. Sigh.
> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2013/01/14/nl-students-dont-know-geography-115.html

Leaving aside issues of unrepresentative sampling and other confounds,
let me ask a basic question:

Aren't you Canadians supposed to be following something like this curriculum:
http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/elementary/sstudies18curr.pdf

If you do follow such a curriculum, does everyone fail?  Or, if they fail,
they're still given a passing grade for showing up?  On a related note,
does the Canadian school system believe in "social promotion"?

In NY state there is a comparable curriculum which is supposed to
prepare one for regents exams in high school; see:
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/socst/pub/sscore2.pdf
and
http://eservices.nysed.gov/vls/subjectAreaHome.do;jsessionid=1db93489d1c66494182f794b7ea6f31c1670abaf131d976cc20600d04ce87777.e34Tc3mPbx0Sby0Lbh0MaN8Mchv0?lmid=15
and
http://www.p12.nysed.gov/ciai/socst/pub/ssovervi.pdf

I'd bet the home schooled kids might be pretty good at geography,
depending upon what kind of curriculum the parents follow (e.g.,
http://www.home-school-curriculum.com/category/world-geography ).
If home schooling is good enough for Marty Seligman's kids... ;-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=23078
or send a blank email to
leave-23078-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu