For me the best strategy is to forget about counting papers and instead pay
attention to the clock. I'll sit down and grade papers for a predetermined
amount of time (around an hour is a good amount). Then, as long as I'm locked
into grading for that time period, I am highly motivated to get as much as
possible done. So I stay focused and work efficiently. Sometimes I will "cheat"
at the end and go over time if I have momentum going. But, see, isn't it
wonderful to feel like grading more papers is something you WANT to do?

Also, I usually have papers/exams already sorted alphabetically, so I am
finicky about keeping them in order. However, sometimes I'll go through and
grade every 5th or 6th one, and then go back and grade all the papers from
first to last. So as I'm grading, every so often I come across a paper that is
already graded, and that is a nice little reward. Also, the "pre-grading"
breaks the stack into sets of 4-5 ungraded papers, which then becomes a
motivator because sometimes you're ready to quit but then you notice that if
you grade just 1-2 more, you've completed a whole set.

I've made a rule that I inflict upon myself: if I even start to read a
paper/exam I have to finish it NOW. I figure once I've put some time and effort
into reading a paper/exam, I'll be wasting that time if I set the paper aside
and restart it later.

Oh, and if I am grading papers via an online dropbox, I always sort them so
that I grade them in order form first-submitted to last-submitted. I figure
it's only fair that the students who turned in their work earliest get feedback
the soonest. Once in a while I'll jump ahead in the order--say I've graded
papers 1-5, and then I skip to paper 9. Well then, I just HAVE to grade papers
6-8 promptly to get things back in order.

Yes, I do A LOT of grading.

-Lenore Frigo
lfr...@shastacollege.edu