Hypothesis: When you are unable to accept that an obvious fact is true (either
because it is too emotionally painful, or because it contradicts prior beliefs
that you regard as imperative), the only explanation is that it has only been
made to seem true by a hidden conspiracy.

An inspirational political leader cannot have been silenced by a lone nut,
therefore...

A small band of brigands cannot have brought down iconic buildings through a
deceptively simple plan, therefore...

A minority man cannot have been elected president by a majority of American
voters, therefore...

The idea that I should have the freedom to own any gun I might want, regardless
of its power and capacity, cannot have been undermined by a single horrific
act, therefore...

Chris
Christopher D Green
Department of Psychology
York University
Toronto, ON M6C 1G4

chri...@yorku.ca
http://www.yorku.ca/christo

On 2013-03-12, at 9:37 PM, Beth Benoit <beth.ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sadly, here's what may be the latest in the conspiracy theorist scenario -
> this from a tenured  professor at a taxpayer-funded university, Florida
> Atlantic University:
>
> http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/15/newtown-harassed-by-conspiracy-theorists/?hpt=ac_t5
>
> My TIPS query (and I'm not sure we've ever addressed this) is:  What GIVES
> with conspiracy theorists?  Especially those with apparent credentials, such
> as those of James Tracy.  What might be the motivation?  What might be
> underlying problems - if any - for these people?  Just need for attention?
> BIRGing?
>
> Obviously, there's always the possibility that conspiracy theorists are
> correct.  (Naturally, that's their belief.)
>
> Beth Benoit
> Granite State College
> Plymouth State University
> New Hampshire
>

> ---
>
> You are currently subscribed to tips as: chri...@yorku.ca.
>
> To unsubscribe click here:
> http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62bd92&n=T&l=tips&o=24298
>
> (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is broken)
>
> or send a blank email to
> leave-24298-430248.781165b5ef80a3cd2b14721caf62b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=24302
or send a blank email to