On 12 Mar 2013 at 22:39, Jim Clark wrote:

> 1.  He is a communications professor.  I've often wondered whether
> journalism students shouldn't be required to take courses in
> statistics and research methods.  How else can they properly evaluate
> the truth of real-life events?

As a callow undergraduate at McGill, I took a course in the
psychology of learning from a young professor (we were all young back
then) who impressed me with his intelligent, logical, and
evidence-based approach to psychology. This man was rigorous! This
psychology was science!

I'm sorry to have to report that he has recently surfaced in the
news, after a long and distinguished career at McGill, with a new
book asserting the reality of alien abduction.

I'm afraid that even skilled knowledge of statistics and research
methods is insufficient to protect against such beliefs.

http://snipurl.com/26lf2hz

Stephen

Stephen L. Black, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology, Emeritus