Have a question about new clinical Ph.Ds.  We have been advertising this year
for someone in clinical psych who can come aboard our undergrad program here.
It is a teaching/research university but there is not the high pressure that
others face for grants and publications.   We have had a lot of trouble just
getting qualified, new Ph.D. clinical folks to apply and I am wondering if this
is peculiar to us or if others have had similar problems.  Are new clinical
Ph.Ds not interested in academic positions at all these days? Maybe the
practice opportunities are much more attractive? We have advertised in the
usual places but maybe there other places to put the ad than the chronicle and
apa and aps publications? Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Our applicants
are totally off base (not clinical, etc.) and/or we have fewer new ph.d.
clinicians applying.  I wish this were an April first joke, but it is just a
real challenge in building our program.

Gerald L. (Gary) Peterson, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Psychology
Saginaw Valley State University