Hi

I wonder if the issue is more general than academic job searches.  My wife is a
psychologist with Correctional Services of Canada and they have difficulty
attracting clinical psychologists, who appear to prefer private practice.  Is
private practice simply more lucrative than any salaried job, academic or
otherwise?  Or do clinical training programs instill that model in students?

Take care
Jim

James M. Clark
Professor & Chair of Psychology
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca
Room 4L41A
204-786-9757
204-774-4134 Fax
Dept of Psychology, U of Winnipeg
515 Portage Ave, Winnipeg, MB
R3B 0R4  CANADA

>>> Marc Carter <marc.car...@bakeru.edu> 02-Apr-13 9:35 AM >>>
The last search we did (last year) for a clinical/counseling PhD netted us two
viable candidates.  Luckily one of them was good.

Right now I'm running a search in exercise science (looking for an ex phys
person) and we have a woefully small pool.  OTOH, our searches in math, sports
administration, and international studies all have large and healthy pools.  I
don't know what's going on, but it sure makes me hate being chair of this
department...

Marc Carter, PhD
Associate Professor of Psychology
Chair, Department of Behavioral and Health Sciences
College of Arts & Sciences
Baker University
--

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto ("e-mail")
is sent by Baker University ("BU") and is intended to be confidential and for
the use of only the individual or entity named above. The information may be
protected by federal and state privacy and disclosures acts or other legal
rules. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
notified that retention, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please
immediately notify Baker University by email reply and immediately and
permanently delete this e-mail message and any attachments thereto. Thank you.

---
You are currently subscribed to tips as: j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca.
To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=24710