From: "Rick Froman" <rfro...@jbu.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2013 3:10:22 PM
Subject: [tips] Human Trafficking and the Super Bowl?

In a story on human trafficking in our student newspaper, a side bar included a
number of interesting facts, one of which put up red flags because I knew that
a similar claim had been debunked. The paper said, “In the United States, more
women are raped on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year.” I knew of
the debunking of the claim that there are more cases of domestic abuse on Super
Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year so I went looking for this one and
found the claim that (actually more relevant to the newspaper article) the
Super Bowl is the single largest human trafficking incident in the U.S. each
year. This claim has been attributed to the US Attorney General. Is anyone
aware of the facts in each of these cases?
Rick

Dr. Rick Froman, Chair

Division of Humanities and Social Sciences

Professor of Psychology

Box 3519

John Brown University

2000 W. University Siloam Springs, AR 72761

rfro...@jbu.edu

(479) 524-7295

http://bit.ly/DrFroman

---