From: don allen [mailto:dap...@shaw.ca]
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2013 5:28 PM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Polling...

Hi Marc-

Not only do I abhor the term "highly significant" I also dislike the term
"significant". I always taught my students to use the term "statistically
reliable" instead. "significant" implies that the results are important. That
is a value judgement which should be made after careful consideration of a
whole host of non-statistical factors. There was also a paper published a
number of years ago (sorry, no reference and no access to the library right
now) which showed that people ascribed more value to results which were labeled
"significant" than those which were described as non-chance findings.

-Don.

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=25157
or send a blank email to
leave-25157-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu