On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 09:33:14 -0700,  Miguel Roig wrote:
In the arts things get a little tricky. I've heard about plagiarism of
composition (art, photography) plagiarism of theatrical designs
and sets, of product designs, etc. As an example, I use this video
in one of my presentations on plagiarism to raise the question:
Yes, we know it when we see it, but at what point does being
inspired by a work represents crosses the line into plagiarism?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9-FGtYACzI
Did Michael Jackson plagiarize his dance moves?

I agree that the arts are a trickier business and I am content to leave
those issues regarding plagiarism to copyright lawyers. ;-) The
problem with the arts is that large amounts of money can be involved
and the claims for "priority" become more of a money grab.
Consider Robin Thicke, Pharrell Williams, and Clifford Harris Jr,'s
"Song of the Summer" (tm, Stephen Colbert ;-) "Blurred Lines".
Both Marvin Gaye's family and Bridgeport Music which owns
the rights to the Funkadelic's song "Sexy Ways" are going to sue Thicke
because he and his co-writers copied their compositions. See:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/robin-thicke-sues-protect-blurred-607492
NOTE: see Funkadelic front man George Clinton's comments at the end.
and
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/marvin-gaye-son-implies-robin-thicke-ace-lawsuit-article-1.1433640
I don't know who is right in this situation but if one is caught up in
this kind of sh*tstorm, I'd follow Warren Zevon's advice:
Bring lawyers, guns, and money.

And this doesn't even involve "sampling" which is a bigger headache;
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_%28music%29