From: "Claudia Stanny" <csta...@uwf.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)"
<tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Friday, August 23, 2013 1:33:05 PM
Subject: Re: [tips] While we bemoan education

We could extend this discussion to teaching activities, structure of
courses/course syllabi, rubrics, etc.
Few of us invent any really new activities; we usually borrow and adopt to
local needs.
Do we need to footnote a pair-share activity every time we use it? What about
student poster sessions as final activities in lab classes?
What about intro psychology textbooks that use the same chapter organization
and often organize topics within chapters in near-identical ways?
When I read research methods texts, the chapter on quasi-experimental designs
nearly always reads like an extended paraphrase of Campbell and Stanley.

The person who develops entirely new activities and presentation styles is
novel and creative. The early adopters may be perceived as equally novel and
creative, although all they did was recognize a great idea and adapt it.
Eventually these become common practice.

When every student speaker at every convocation starts to coordinate the speech
with a sound track, people will say the performance is stale and derivative.
Think of all those Elvis impersonators! :-)

Early on, we feel that something should be cited. After multiple adoptions and
modifications, it becomes common knowledge.

This can be a tricky judgment. I think many students struggle with the idea of
when an idea requires a citation and when it is common knowledge. At some
point, a transition occurs. How do we define when that line has been crossed
and explain it to our students?

Claudia J. Stanny, Ph.D.
Director
Center for University Teaching, Learning, and Assessment
Associate Professor
NSF UWF Faculty ADVANCE Scholar
School of Psychological and Behavioral Sciences
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL 32514 – 5751

Phone: (850) 857-6355 (direct) or 473-7435 (CUTLA)

csta...@uwf.edu

CUTLA Web Site: http://uwf.edu/cutla/
Personal Web Pages: http://uwf.edu/cstanny/website/index.htm

---