On Dec 7, 2013, at 12:42 PM, Lilienfeld, Scott O wrote:

> Hi All TIPSTERs: I thought that some of you might this piece worthy of
> discussion and debate:
> http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/06/peter-higgs-boson-academic-system

I did a postdoc in a clinical psychology program during the 1993-1994 academic
year at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. One of the tenured professors who
had been hired about 15 years before told me that there was no chance that, if
he were to apply for an assistant professorship at UMSL at that time
(1993-1994), he would have been hired with the record that he had had in the
late 1970s.

His admission had an enormous effect on me. I decided soon thereafter to stop
searching for university/college positions that required an "active research
program." I had had an excellent background: I attained the PhD at a Research 1
University and had done a postdoc at another Research I university (not UMSL).
I also had a number of publications, but I knew that I couldn't compete.And I
didn't want to continue with 14+ hour days, 7 days a week. I really enjoyed
teaching and being a generalist in psychology, so I searched for teaching jobs
after that.

I respect all of you who have become successful as researchers at 1st, 2nd, &
3rd tier schools. I know how hard you all have worked to get where you are
(especially those of you at 2nd and 3rd tier schools who also have heavy
teaching loads). But I've never regretted my choice.

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College