This past June, Marcus Raichle was awarded the Talairach award by the
Organization for Human Brain Mapping. The award was given for his
discovery and examination of the Resting State. Now, we take resting
state scans as a matter of routine, just in case we might think of a
study in the future. The person reviewing Dr. Raichle's background and
presenting the award actually made the comment that Dr Raichle would
never make it as a PI today since he only published 6 papers a year.

I really have no proposed solution to this problem. People in academic
life are wasting so much time publishing ruminative and redundant work.
It seems that all the great discoveries come from outside this system.
Somehow the reward system has to shift from counting publications to
counting discoveries.

Mike Williams

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=31092
or send a blank email to