On Dec 17, 2013, at 1:01 PM, Christopher Green wrote:

> My understanding is that here, as in the intelligence debate, proportions of
> variance attributable to "heredity" are only valid for a given level of
> variance in the environment. Restrict the range of variability in the
> environment and "heredity" goes up. Increase the variability of the
> environment and "heredity" goes down. In short, it can be a highly misleading
> statistic unless the environment is somehow artificially "standardized."

Yes, that was the point I was trying to make with my example.

I have never really understood the fascination with heritability estimates.
They were developed primarily for agricultural purposes (if I remember
correctly: it's been a long time since I studied the history of this area)
because knowing the proportion of additive genetic variance to total phenotypic
variance helps us to estimate responses to artificial selection. However, even
when heritability is zero, genes will still be important contributors to the
development of a trait. A heritability of zero simply means that genetic
variance is not associated with phenotypic variance. This will occur, for
example, when directional selection (or genetic drift) has led to the fixation
of genes important for the development of a trait.

And there are many other complexities that enter into interpreting
heritability. For me, it was useful simply for showing that there were genes in
a population that we might want to take a look at. Understanding how these
genes were important for the development of a phenotype (i.e., describing
gene-environment interactions and epigenetics) was always the goal. I never got
very far in this line of work, but many others have since then.

Best,
Jeff
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College