From: John Kulig [mailto:ku...@mail.plymouth.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 10:01 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Sources of happiness
It's a well worn story, but Donald Hebb attacked the heritability (H) concept
with the story of raising children in a barrel until 12 (per Mark Twain's
suggestion) after which their average IQ would be very low but heritability
would = 1 because there is no environmental variation, despite the obvious fact
that the environment lowered _average_ IQ. Apparently, though, Hebb makes the
misstep to apply the resultant H to a population _other_ than "boys in barrels"
.. see Jensen, Arthur R. (1971) (abstract at bottom). But Hebb's "insight" with
or without the misstep wasn't anything that anyone with even a modest knowledge
of H wouldn't realize. Jeff and Chris are correct that the H is applied to the
population and range of environments represented in the data collected.

But on the other hand, I think H estimates can be useful. Cultures and
environments change, but not to the extent suggested by Mark Twain. They are
useful for (1) estimating variance when model/theory building. Our views of
personality are changing now that we know a good % is genetic. It points us in
the direction of causal factors (genetic or epigenetic) (2) public policy; It
is good to know how much to expect from environmental manipulations. It is my
understanding the initial goal of Head Start was to raise IQ using existing
environmental conditions (pre-school). It did not, though it's a terrific
program for other reasons. I suspect (Jeff will know the literature better) H
estimates for IQ have not changed much since the early days of Cyril Burt (yes,
that guy!).

American Psychologist, Vol 26(4), Apr 1971, 394-395.
Abstract
Comments that the example given by D. O. Hebb (1970) to illustrate the concept
of heritability is confusing to readers who do not already understand the
concept. Hebb misapplies heritability and arrives at a nonsensical conclusion
by estimating heritability in one population and then generalizing it to a
quite different population. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2012 APA, all rights
reserved)

John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Coordinator, Psychology Honors