On Dec 23, 2013, at 12:40 PM, Annette Taylor wrote:

> My map put me right where I belong....either Chicago or Rockford or
> Aurora--all within a few miles of each other. My kids laugh at me when I talk
> about the "mare" of San Diego and his problems but i grew up under the reign
> of Mare Daley (as in 5 by 5). Every time I  told my kids to see a conslr at
> school they corrected me, it's coun-se-ler! Hmmmph.

I was born on Long Island, about 20 miles from Queens. When we moved to a
suburb just outside of Chicago, I was evaluated for a speech "impediment,"
apparently because my teacher thought my accent sounded like a developmental
problem. Eventually, I started talking more like someone from the Chicago area
instead of from the Town of Oyster Bay, although I never lost all of my L.I.
accent.

When I moved to Arizona, some of my students thought that whatever accent I had
by then was funny, although I didn't sound like a resident of either Queens or
the Bridgeport neighborhood of Chicago.

Now, I have absolutely no idea what I sound like. My "map" placed me in the
Madison-Milwaukee-Rockford (IL) area, but only because I tried to remember the
words I used for things when I was a kid, not those I learned in my almost
30-years in AZ, or ones used in the northeast (the ones my parents had used,
and that I had used when younger).

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.