While looking through www.researchgate.net, I came across an
article reference that began with the word "WITHDRAWN".
I interpreted this to mean that the article had been retracted from
the journal it had been published in for whatever reason (following
through to the publishers website, there was a vaguely worded
statement that the author had withdrawn the article consistent
with some of the publisher's legalese points).  I thought that this
was a bit odd (e.g., that it was on researchgate which exists
primarily as a self-promotional platform) and decided to go over
to Medline/PubMed to see if there were any other article with
this designation (the article was in a biomedical research area).
I searched for "WITHDRAWN" in the title of the article and as
of about 10 minutes ago, there were 1765 hits. PubMed does
not provide stable URL for searches like this, so, the interested
reader is encouraged to go to www.pubmed.gov and do the
search themselves.  Now, it is true that only those articles with
WITHDRAWN at the beginning of the title appear to be
retractions and there are some article titles that have withdrawn
as a legitimate part of the title.  Nonetheless, I set the number
of articles per page to 200/page and it is clear that 80-90% of
the articles are retractions (some have "article withdrawn" instead).

The truly weird part is that in the first 200 articles listed (sorted
by recently added) the oldest article is from August 2012 --
the rest of the articles are retractions from 2012-2013.

WTF!?!

Am I overreacting to this or is this a really, really bad situation?

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=32798
or send a blank email to
leave-32798-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu