From: "Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D." <jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu>
To: "Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)" <tips@fsulist.frostburg.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 8, 2014 1:34:49 PM
Subject: [tips] Classical versus Vicarious Conditioning of Phobias

Hi all,

When I was a child, I remember my mother telling me about a friend of hers who
developed a "shower phobia" after watching Hitchcock's Psycho. (By today's
standards, the scene is quite tame, but it was terrifying to many people at the
time the movie was released.) It seems obvious that the woman's shower phobia
developed through vicarious conditioning.

A "textbook example" of vicarious conditioning I have often seen is the
development of an animal phobia (usually a snake or cockroach) in a child after
seeing his/her mother express extreme fear upon coming into contact with that
animal. I wonder, however, if classical conditioning is the better way of
describing the situation. That is, the mother's expression of terror represents
a UCS for the child because of the strong emotional bond between them. It is
not simply the degree of "empathy" the child feels for another that leads to
the conditioning of the fear response: the expression of fear in a parent might
be seen as a more direct indication of danger because of the parent-child
relationship.

I hope I'm communicating this in a way that makes sense. If so, what are your
thoughts on this: is it better conceptualized as vicarious or classical
conditioning?

Best,
Jeff
Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.