From: Jim Clark [j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca]
Sent: Sunday, February 9, 2014 11:52 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Classical versus Vicarious Conditioning of Phobias

Hi

I too did some searching. Found a fair bit on one- trial avoidance learning,
although little with humans. For me the main impression I have of the shower
scene is the facial expression of terror, followed closely by the blood
circling down the drain. If fear expression spontaneously elicits fear reaction
(eg heightened startle in infants?) then it would seem to qualify as ucs. Also
classical conditioning allows second-order conditioning even if fear response
to expression is learned. Clearly quick learning of fear to facial expression
would be of evolutionary value (ie don't need to have expression paired with
personal pain). Finally i do not think contemporary psychologists would find CC
and associative learning in conflict. Former refers to phenomenon and latter to
underlying explanation.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=34081