Not going to be rhetorical here. No one asks the same question about fathers
and mobile devices. Even though when you ask many people if they felt the lack
of their fathers at certain points (or all the time as children. Because the
default setting for fathers in this two parent model is "distant" or "mildly
neglectful." The pressure is on Mom.

Doesn't it depend on how you use the device? Context?  Getting a cell phone
(2002. I was mildly resistant to it) was one of the best things that happened
to my relationship with my child. Her father and I living apart, I could make
contact with her 2 or 3 times a day by phone or text to let her know I was
around and would soon be spending time with her. I still do this, now when she
is 17.

There's been a long history of tech hysteria - at least going 3 generations
back. This study seems to be the product of the nexus of that pressure and the
need to create anxiety for mothers that they just aren't doing it right
(whatever they choose to do working away from home, at home, etc. ) that fuels
media and many other commercial facets of society.

Nancy Melucci
Long Beach City College
Long Beach CA