From: Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D. [mailto:jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2014 10:29 AM
To: Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS)
Subject: Re: [tips] Do Cells Phones Make Neglectful Mothers?

On Dec 17, 2014, at 7:29 AM, Mike Palij <m...@nyu.edu<mailto:m...@nyu.edu>>
wrote:

A study has been published in the journal "Academic Pediatrics"
that examined whether mothers' use of mobile devices (i.e.,
cell phones, tablets, etc.) affected their interactions with their
children at about 6 years of age

I haven't read the paper, yet; but it occurred to me that the purpose of the
study was to determine whether mothers (although I would have included both
parents) who spend time doing something other than interacting with their
6-year-old children may spend less time interacting with their children. If so,
I started a small list of other research questions we might want to answer.

Fill in the blank:

Does _____ affect parents' interactions with their children?

  *   watching television
  *   vacuuming (and myriad other household chores)
  *   enrolling in a course
  *   taking a nap
  *   sending a child off to first grade
  *   having them take the bus to school

Fell free to add others. Perhaps we could perform the relevant studies and
publish our results and conclusions in a book. On second thought, it probably
would need to be a multi-volume series of books.

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626
Office: SB-123
Phone: (480) 423-6213
Fax: (480) 423-6298

---

You are currently subscribed to tips as:
j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca<mailto:j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca>.

To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a891720c9&n=T&l=tips&o=40955

leave-40955-13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a89172...@fsulist.frostburg.edu<mailto:leave-40955-13251.645f86b5cec4da0a56ffea7a89172...@fsulist.frostburg.edu>