Best wishes to all for the coming year!  May your teaching loads
be lightened and your committee/administrative work be lessened
as your salaries are increased.

A few notes about New Year's Eve (NYE), the new year, and
other stuff:

(1) Some of the news channels started showing how NYE was
being celebrated around the world, starting with, I believe,
New Zealand (NZ) which is about 16 hours ahead of the celebrations
in NYC's Times Square (there a few islands in the Pacific that
enter the new year earlier but these will only be of interest to
fanboys of NYE).

(2) One realization as the crystal Waterford ball came down
at Times Square:  there are probably folks in NZ, Australia,
and the eastern Russian Federation who are starting their
hangovers as the ball comes down.

(3) While watching the financial news network CNBC, the
newsreader was excitingly announcing that midnight had just
come to Moscow and that a spectacular fireworks display
would light up the night sky.  However, as the skyline of
Moscow remained dark for the next minute, the newsreader
chimed in "Well, maybe those sanctions really are working!?"
The fireworks started 4-5 minutes late.

(4) As with every new year, people make resolutions of various
sorts, usually to achieve positive goals like weight loss,  exercising
more, being kinder to people, giving more to charities, and so on
(there are those who swear to carry out their revenge against their
enemies, real or imagined, but I digress) and the NY Times is
perhaps making suggestions about changing behavior on the
subway.  Let's be clear: "manspreading" might be a problem,
especially one that some folks like to focus on (you know who
you are) but New Yorkers who regularly ride the subway are
all too aware of other "problematic" behaviors which the following
NY Times story identifies based on polling of its readers:
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/29/nyregion/door-hogs-music-blasters-litterbugs-readers-sound-off-about-subway-rudeness.html?mabReward=RI%3A11

One set of problem behaviors:

|Grievances include smells that offend, sounds that grate and
|personal grooming not appropriate for a public space. Riders
|seethed over frequent culprits: the door hog, the pole hugger,
|the litterbug.

Smells that offend can come from a variety of sources, ranging
from people with poor personal hygiene to the foods that are
eaten such as:

|Some think food should be banned on the subway altogether.
|They had visceral memories of unpleasant odors on the train:
|Mexican fast food, garlic breath, Chinese takeout.

|"I actually witnessed a man put on rubber gloves, open a can of
|sardines and eat it on the train," Yana Ivanov wrote in an email.
|"It was nasty."

Somebody should do a memory studies for odors experienced
on the subway.  I'm sure they are especially durable. ;-)

And one particular problem that I find offensive is people taking
pictures on the subway. Consider:

|Several complaints were logged against people who take selfies
|on the train. Sharmila Mukherjee objected to riders who take these
|photos with "preposterous smiles on their faces." Women are often
|the culprits, she said. "They fancy they are girls in pearl earrings
|and the smartphone camera is Vermeer himself," she wrote, referring
|to the Dutch artist who painted the famous "Girl With a Pearl Earring."

True Story:  after a tiring day of teaching I was taking the subway home
when a group of about 6-7 youngish people, obviously European
from their accents, got on my car and started to act as though they
were in a photoshoot.  I could tell that they were amateurs because
of their "Golly Gee!  Let's Take This Shot!" attitude -- your average
tourist who thought it was great taking photos on the subway without
asking anyone not in their group if they minded being in the picture.
I counted down the stations to my stop while this group occupied
about a third of the car.  As I got off at my station I prayed to God to
send a homeless man to this car so he could take a dump in it.

Another unanswered prayer. ;-)

Good luck with that hangover. ;-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=41345
or send a blank email to