Thanks, Mike, and yes, I really did want to know. I'm a terribly naive
Midwesterner who doesn't always see humanity in all its shame (we have
cornfields that hide a multitude of sins). What troubles me is whether
there is any way to prevent this absence of human dignity. Are there public
restrooms available in New York (and other massive confinement operations),
are they relatively save? Easily accessed? Are there ways of preserving
human dignity? Is it futile? I've become a bit (make that a huge bit) of a
cynic, but I still hope to leave the world a better place when it is done
with me. I know that I take basic restroom convenience for granted, but
never stopped to consider those who can't or don't.

I once read of a nun who spends her days washing the feet of the homeless,
removing their callouses, and giving them a clean pair of socks and shoes
without holes. That to me is the pinnacle of serving. I can't see myself
doing that (I don't like feet for one thing), but it has made me think
about other ways. The idea of someone who has lost enough dignity to
defecate on the subway (which reminded me of the pathos of Midnight Cowboy)
really troubles me. Perhaps I'm just being negative on this dawn of a new
year...and perhaps this should have been a private message to just Mike,
but I'd be interested in others' thoughts.
Carol

--
Carol DeVolder, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology