That was awesome!  Of course, nowadays late night tv often has B-, C-, and
D-grade actors come on and read something dramatically as humor.  But I believe
poor William did think he was creating high art. However, given his level of
success I don't really feel embarrassed for him as I would someone else doing
that.

Research?  Again, for a non-celebrity I would consider this some poor
self-monitoring.  But a celebrity is insulated with those around him telling
him what a great idea this is.  So, Shatner may be oblivious to the social
awkwardness of it for different reasons than a non-celebrity.

Sorry, I have to go watch that again.

Jon

>>> "Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D." <jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu> 02/15/15 12:07 PM >>>

 Hi all,

The question in the subject line is concerned with situations in which the
other person is not embarrassed at all by behavior that, for observers, is
cringe-inducing. The best example I can think of is this clip of William
Shatner "singing" Rocket Man in 1978 (I've been unable to watch more than the
first 25 seconds):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ivimx2lu2kybiy/William%20Shatner%20Rocket%20Man.mp4?dl=0

The concept of empathy doesn't seem relevant: we typically feel empathy for
another when they are experiencing a negative response (emotion or physical
pain) that we understand all too well. In this case, the person we're
observing, and feeling embarrassed for, seems oblivious to the social
awkwardness of their behavior.

Does anyone know of any research on my question?

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85256-2626
Office: SB-123
Phone: (480) 423-6213
Fax: (480) 423-6298

         ---
         You are currently subscribed to tips as: jfmuel...@noctrl.edu.
         To unsubscribe click here:
http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13269.01f6211e00cc8f00a7b68e8e24b1b4d6&n=T&l=tips&o=42066
         (It may be necessary to cut and paste the above URL if the line is
broken)
         or send a blank email to
leave-42066-13269.01f6211e00cc8f00a7b68e8e24b1b...@fsulist.frostburg.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=42068