On Feb 28, 2015, at 6:28 PM, Jim Clark <j.cl...@uwinnipeg.ca> wrote:

> One lesson I take away from Jeff`s original post (i.e., that even a simple
> coin toss probability is a challenge to determine) is that we should not
> worry too much by such minutia as whether all the abstract assumptions for
> statistical tests are met. The real world is so messy that such contributions
> to the correctness of our conclusions are probably minimal and in an
> uncertain direction.

Yes, that's an excellent point. I also was thinking about several other issues
that these studies might help to clarify for students.

One is the issue of internal versus external validity (and yes, ecological
validity also could be mentioned, although that isn't what concerns me with
coin tossing).

Based on what I was able to understand of their conclusions, both groups of
researchers seemed to be stating that their findings had high internal
validity, but they didn't think they would generalize to the types of
situations in which coins typically are tossed.

I thought this would be an easy–to–understand example to use when I discuss
validity—as long as I leave the math out!!!

Best,

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Scottsdale Community College
9000 E. Chaparral Road