I have a similar policy to Beth’s, but it’s really about cell phone control.

They are allowed up to 3 absences for TTh classes and 4 absences for MWF
classes, I do not distinguish between excused and unexcused. Obviously,
exceptional circumstances occur and are allowed. A student was called up for
National Guard duty (Baltimore Protests) and missed some classes. I will not be
penalizing him for the ’National Guard Absences'.

After the allowed absences, their ‘attendance and professional behavior’ grade
begins to drop proportionally. It is worth about 10% of their grade. Other
things that count as simple absences: Emails that are grammatically
incomprehensible or lack the course number in the subject line, telephone
messages that do not provide sufficient context for me to interpret the issue,
phone calls in which the student forgets to tell me their name and what class
they are in.

How this ties into cell phones. If I see a student’s cell phone they are
counted as absent that day. I just mark it on the roll and it is tallied in a
special column on our LMS grade book. I don’t call them out, I just note it on
my roll and tally it. All cell phone absences count against attendance and
professional behavior grade, there is no 3 freebie allowance.

I see between zero and 3 cell phones while lecturing in each class each
semester. Modal number is probably 1. At the start of the semester there is no
‘cell phone absence column’. When a student gets caught, the column appears and
the whole class knows that at least one student has been docked points for
their cell phone being seen.

Because, I care about the distraction of cell phones, but I don’t actually care
much about absences (hence not distinguishing excused from unexcused). After
all, they are grown ups and part of life is making prioritizing judgements in a
variety of situations. The price I pay for caring about cell phones is that I
have to act like I care about absences.

Paul

Paul C Bernhardt, Ph.D.
Guild 215
301-687-4410
Office Hours for Spring 2015
M 12:30-1:30; T 3:30-4:30; WF 3:00-4:30
Schedule meetings anytime via
https://drbernhardt.youcanbook.me

On May 11, 2015, at 9:52 PM, John Kulig
<ku...@mail.plymouth.edu<mailto:ku...@mail.plymouth.edu>> wrote:

I got a lot of flat tires this semester, plus a few of personal issues as well
.. Thanks Beth for nudging me into thinking about an attendance policy for next
fall (I try to write syllabi at the end of every semester). Beth's post is also
interesting as we teach at the same institution and PSU has a policy that
distinguishes excused from no excused absences but the definition of 'excused'
is a little vague. Besides the usual college sponsored events and death in
family, our policy makes reference to unusual circumstances which opens the
door for interpretation .. By the way, IMO Beth's students tell her why they
are absent because she is a very popular and personable instructor ...

John W. Kulig, Ph.D.
Professor of Psychology
Coordinator, Psychology Honors
Plymouth State University