I just had an email from a student who cannot take the final exam because she
is in her brother's wedding party on the next day. However, she has a solid A+
in the course (which, I will grant, is highly exceptional), and feels that she
knows the material and would like to be excused. She feels that this is a
sufficiently compelling excuse to satisfy my usual exam policy (I let students
miss one exam if they have a documented, compelling excuse). She included a
copy of the wedding invitation as her documentation.

I am serious here, folks. Being in a wedding? She JUST found out about the
wedding? She waited until one week before the scheduled time for the final exam
to email me? She failed to note that the usual exam policy excludes the final
exam.

I responded back by email that that just will not do. I explained that being in
the wedding party is not a compelling excuse and listed examples: serious
illness (documented); death of an immediate family member (documented); major
transportation failure (documented), etc. She has failed to respond back. I
wonder if she'll come to class for the exam?

I'm still flabbergasted. Have times changed? Am I missing something? Am I
getting too old for this profession?

Annette

Annette Kujawski Taylor, Ph. D.
Professor, Psychological Sciences