For a somewhat more detailed history of Thomas Merton,
I suggest that one take a look at his Wikipedia entry
though one should be cautious about accepting everything
there; see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Merton

Merton had a somewhat unusual history and probably would
be a good subject for a psychological case study.
By the way, Michael, did he ever mention Margie?