On Jan 8, 2016, at 7:23 AM, Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D. <jeff.ric...@scottsdalecc.edu>
wrote:

> I briefly looked through some of the articles that López-Teijón and her
> colleagues have published in the past, and it seemed to me (after only a
> cursory examination, however) that several were of high quality and published
> in reputable journals. (But I need to look more closely at them to be sure.)
>
> It was this, plus the fact that recently I've seen the dubious claims about
> BabyPod popping up in various social media, that led me to take a closer look
> at what was going on here.

One last post today so that I can clarify a bit more why I was troubled by this
issue. López-Teijón apparently has a connection to Babypod / Music in Baby S.
L. U., and (I suspect) also a financial interest in the product's success.

On the other hand, I'm not going to dismiss this research without first
examining its findings closely. Why?  Primarily because there is much evidence
supporting the claim that fetuses perceive external sounds, especially spoken
language, and that these experiences have various effects postnatally, again
especially on language development. For example, Gervain (2015) stated:

> Early experience with speech and language, starting in the womb, has been
> shown to shape perceptual and learning abilities, paving the way for language
> development. Indeed, recent studies suggest that prenatal experience with
> speech, which consists mainly of prosodic information, already impacts how
> newborns perceive speech and produce communicative sounds. (p. 13)

I'm teaching an honors course on Human Sexuality this semester, and I thought
that a discussion of the claims being made about the effects of intra-vaginal
musical stimulation on ... well, I'm not completely certain what they are
claiming ... and the research performed in support of these claims might be a
good way to start the course. It touches on a number of issues related to
prenatal development, as well as the importance of a skeptical approach and the
need for well designed empirical research.

Best,
Jeff

Jeffry Ricker, Ph.D.
Social/Behavioral Sciences