Why have we left Bruner in our wake . . . ?

To this day I find the information processing approach, as introduced to
us by Jerome Bruner, to be the most comprehensive and up-to-date
perspective on cognitive development.  My colleagues find it "shocking"
that I do not cover Piaget as I realize many of you likely will also.  But
Piaget's model is static vs dynamic, and his conclusions were based on a
biased and small sample that posed stages of thinking that now are clearly
outdated.  Bruner stressed that the reason Piaget frequently
underestimated children's thinking abilities was that he posed problems
with too many parts, thereby overwhelming them with too much information.
Until the age of 7, sometimes called the 'age of reason,' children have no
capacity for dual focusing,  meaning that they only can comprehend
problems that can be processed within one frame, so to speak.

I was drawn to this emphasis of Bruner's on the impact of the quantity of
information as a factor in determining children's ability to reveal their
comprehension of a concept.  As we now know, it has been determined via
information processing research studies that during the first year of life
infants demonstrate a comprehension of conservation, cause-effect,
subtraction and addition IF the problem contains only one to three items.
As the old saying goes, KISS, at least with children under seven.

I would hope to see our textbooks to begin giving Bruner some type of
recognition to his role in emphasizing the use of the information
processing model to obtain a superior model of cognitive development.

May he rest in peace.

Joan
jwarmb...@oakton.edu

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=48854