The NY Times published an excerpt from Luke Dittrich's book on
HM which had a heavy focus on Suzanne Corkin's treatment of
Henry Molaison during the decades which she had him under
her charge.  Perhaps most disturbing about the account is that
Corkin's activities is the claim that she destroyed testing results
and other papers related to HM.  Dittrich has a personal interest
in this story because it is his grandfather, a neurosurgeon, was
the person who conducted the surgery on HM which resulted in
his amnesia.  Traditionally, it has bas been presented that this
surgery destroyed key areas of HM's hippocampus but new
post mortem studies of HM's brain indicate additional damage
to the prefrontal context that was not previously detected or
acknowledge -- which may fundamentally change the story of
why HM's memory functioned in the way it did.

It should be noted that what was published was an excerpt from
a book Dittrich has written and which is being published by
Random House.  I emphasize this point because a groups of
about 200 cognitive/neuroscientists have written to the NY Times
to complain about the article, including MIT which plays a
curious role in all of this -- Corkin worked with HM at MIT.

The response to the Dittrich article has been written on the
Scientific American website by Sharon Begley and, frankly,
the people responding come off not looking so good.  Here
is a quote that serves as an example:

|   It is highly unusual for so many prominent scientists to take
|a newspaper to task over a book excerpt, especially when they
|do not also contact the publisher (Random House). One
|scientist criticizing the Times said they hadn't thought of that.

Well, Duh!

|The scientists also complain that the newspaper did not
|fact-check the excerpt. In a statement, however, a spokesperson
|for the paper said the excerpt "was thoroughly vetted and
|fact-checked by the [Sunday] magazine's staff."

Perhaps the responders can question whether the fact-checking
was adequate but claiming that none was done when in fact
it was done -- which undermines the points being made as well
as raising questions about the accuracy of other statements that
they made.  Perhaps they were in too much of a hurry to write
a response and did not "fact check" their own comments?

Anyway, I am sure that all Tipsters have already the NY Time article
by Dittrich on HM because they are always on top of the latest
science news but for those who off hiking for the past week and
cut off from civilization or meditating in a meditation center or
whatever, here is a link to the Dittrich article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/magazine/the-brain-that-couldnt-remember.html?_r=1

And here is a link to the SciAm article:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mit-challenges-the-new-york-times-over-book-on-famous-brain-patient/#

So, some people may have to update their notes on HM and the
implications of the research done on him, that is, it is now less
clear what they mean.

On the bright side, it does provide a new case to review when
we cover research ethics. ;-)

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=49174
or send a blank email to
leave-49174-13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df...@fsulist.frostburg.edu