Thanks, folks.

Bob: sort of; ideally, if I could remove IQ as a factor and still
measure learning (as an advancement in comprehension), I'd like to be
able to reward students for their achievement, rather than punish them.
Not as a large portion of the overall course grade, but as some small
rewarding experience.

For example, their ability to comprehend some topic in social psych
might be minimal, and on a test (and as I briefly mentioned, mine are
all written - short essay type) they might get a C- grade (or worse),
which they experience as punishment. But what if such a student has made
significant progress from a lower baseline to get to that C-? I'm
generally a tough grader, compared to others at my school, so I get a
lot of students whose inability to comprehend has gone unnoticed (they
get by with better grades in other courses, and some good students do
poorly on the first test, not expecting its complexity). But I don't
care to dumb-down my grading system or give points for fluff. I want to
try to capture improvements in comprehension that might be happening,
but aren't strong enough to overcome IQ deficits that limit the overall
performance, and provide some structured reward for those improvements.
(Oh, and - better not forget this - I want to do this without any real
extra work on my part.)

For some (more?) students, these improvements would be due to
motivational factors rather than IQ, but I'd be ok giving the same
rewards for improved performance to them. (And some just get lucky with
score sequences - I don't know what to do with that.) Again, I'm not
trying to flatter myself by churning out high grades; I want something
small but meaningful as reward for their change in performance,
something fair, and formal so I can state up front what it is rather
than the informal nudge we sometimes give students who've shown
improvement over the semester.

Doug said he gives "extra credit to the group that shows the largest
average improvement" on group work, though it's minimal, and students
seem to misjudge the value of those extra credit points. Something like
that is the sort of compromise (to ideal) that I have in mind... but how
much is fair, how to quantify it (establish baseline), etc.?

           --> Mike O.

On 8/11/16 1:00 AM, Teaching in the Psychological Sciences (TIPS) digest
wrote:

> Subject: RE: Grading improvement
> From: R C Intrieri<rc-intri...@wiu.edu>
> Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 11:42:01 -0500
>
> Mike O.
> Just to clarify are you wanting a measure of learning that is not consistent
> with IQ?  In other words, you want to parcel out the effect of IQ on
> learning?
> Did I understand that completely?
> Bob I

http://fsulist.frostburg.edu/u?id=13090.68da6e6e5325aa33287ff385b70df5d5&n=T&l=tips&o=49178